Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas

So where do we go from here? You might have noticed that I didn’t announce anything for 2024 after finishing the HedgeHUGS BOM. And that’s because I need a break. Even though I pretty much stopped posting and abandoned some social media platforms, it feels like I didn’t get anything done this year. I have pattern samples finished that have been lying around for almost a year and a half with no time to actually write and publish the pattern. And let’s not even talk about the long list of half-finished designs and design ideas. Longarm quilting is still my main business and eats up most of my time but I also have quite a few medical appointments and am involved in the two local guilds. And I did quite a lot of traveling which of course I don’t want to give up either.

I have also not come up with “the” idea for a new BOM. I have played around with several ideas but I found nothing really satisfactory. So here is where you come in. I would like to start another project later in 2024 but I haven’t been hit by inspiration so far with anything that might work as a block of the month. What would you like to see? Leave a comment, and maybe inspiration will hit me.

So instead I will show you a few of the things that kept me busy this fall. I did the registration for the quilt show again and organized the quilt intake and return which is a huge, very time-consuming task. But I love a good spreadsheet and well organized events, and I had a lot of fun doing it. The guild had not enough people for setting up the frames, so this year the quilts were displayed in the sanctuary of the church where we hold the shows.

Quilt Show 1

Picture courtesy of Lyn R.

I usually don’t participate in the show challenge (if the day just had more hours!!). But this year inspiration suddenly hit me in late September, and I whipped up an entry in a few days. The theme was a “song with a colour”, and I suddenly had this vision of “Red Roses for a Blue Lady”, and it turned out pretty much the way I saw it in my head.

Red Roses for a Blue Lady

Two guilds means two Christmas parties with lots of activities. At the Chilliwack Quilters Guild we played Bingo with fabric cards, and the blocks were collected afterwards and will be turned into donation quilts.

Bingo Blocks

We also made a bobbin blossom brooch which is a very quick project, especially when you use a magnet instead of a pin. It looks really nice and is easy to do although the instructions looked quite intimidating at first.

Bobbin Blossom

And then we played the “Left, Right, Centre” game. Everyone starts out with three Jelly Roll strips, and the one who ends up with the last strip(s) when all the others have been placed in the centre wins the whole pile. Only that this year the winners of each table played a final round against each other with the winner taking all the strips. Well, guess who the (reluctant) lucky winner was… yes, I went home with about 120 strips of fabric. There is a huge variety of patterns and themes, and nothing is coordinated. I folded them, and they found a home in my big Fisherman’s Friend tin, and I have decided I will make (probably three, depending on how many strips there actually are) Jelly Roll Race quilts and donate them back to the guild’s We Care program.

Strips 1 Strips 2

The Chilliwack Piecemakers Christmas Party was even more hilarious (you would have loved it, Joanne). We played some games, had lots of door prizes, and the President made all executive members sing a quilty version of “Twelve Days of Christmas”. I was lucky (and maybe everyone else too because I can’t sing very well publicly) and managed to get the twelfth verse that I only had to sing once.

We also made Healing Heart blocks for a member going through some rough times, and a nice collection was gifted to her as a “fabric hug”.

v

And then my husband needed a new Dinkelmaus (the German version of a bean bag, if you want to know more or download the free pattern, check here). His was wearing thin after about 15 years, and he would leave kernels of spelt all over the house. Since they make such great gifts and don’t take long to sew, I made a whole collection and gave them away to my quilty friends.

Dinkelmäuse

Last but not least I spent almost all of November on my Christmas Cards, they were all finished in time and mailed out in early December.

Merry Christmas

I hope you all have a happy and safe holiday season, take some time to slow down and relax and enjoy your friends and family. See you all in 2024!

CATEGORIES: Miscellaneous
TAGS: , , , ,

19 responses to “Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas”

1. Connie Connors says:

Maybe only a 6 block quilt with a young dog in the city!! He/She could check out the different ways of travel, such as a child’s car, tricycle, scooter, skates, pushcart, doll carriage, etc. but all miniatures because the animal is miniature in size. A building in the background could also be present and represent different parts of the city.
    I do hope you have good health from now on and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thank you for all the work you put giving us such lovely quilts.

2. Josefina says:

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Beatrice. I understand what you are going through. I lost my quilting mojo in 2019 when my quilting buddy, an 18-year old cat, died. I had her since she was a kitten. I could not get near my sewing machine without feeling my heart aching. So, I switched from making quilts to hand-sewing wool applique projects because there was no way I wasn’t going to make anything.

I am confident that my quilting mojo will return just as I am certain your inspiration for future BOM’s will come back. In the meantime, take care and thank you for sharing your free patterns.

3. Rebecca Haughn says:

I also wish you a very merry Christmas, thanks for the hedgehog bom. It was very nice. Do your own thing and we will await your return, it happens now and then I understand it totally. Be well and huggs

4. Kelley says:

You are doing great!! I would take a break too! Especially with medical appointments coming up. Rest your head, we’ll be here!! Keep in touch if you like!! If you must keep thinking creative thoughts, dogs are always a favorite! 😍🥰❤️🥰 Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year!! Hugs.

5. Don says:

Thank you for all your designs. I treasure them. Have a wonderful 2024.

6. Barbara says:

Thanks for your lovely designs. I especially like the Blue Lady with Red Roses.
    I read all of your posts, but since the monkey, I have not downloaded them. I found that I don’t enjoy applique. Follow your heart, maybe it’s time to do this year differently than the last few.

7. Wendy says:

Merry Christmas! I have enjoyed all your BOM’s and look forward to more…but, you need to take care of yourself and take time to do what you need to do. We can wait til you are ready…. How about Gnomes for an idea.

• Wendy G says:

I too hope everyone had a happy and healthy Chrismas

Just like Wendy. I came up with the thought of Gnomes lol. Great minds think alike when your both a Wendy !
      Could do garden themed Gnomes??
      All the best to everyone in the new year

8. Orla V. says:

Merry Christmas and thank you for sharing your BOMs over the years that I have been following your blog. I haven’t been able to quilt much over the last few years, my time is spent caring for my 90 years old Mother, and knitting and crochet are easier to pick up and drop. But I look forward to quilting again one day. This post is wonderful, and your Red Roses for a Blue Lady is brilliant, plus your Christmas card gives me ideas for next year. All the best for a Happy New Year and I look forward to reading your posts with or without a BOM. Take good care.

9. Susan says:

I don’t think you are required to have a BOM every year. Give yourself a break this year. Take a hiatus from a few other things and work on getting your health back. I didn’t quilt at all this year as medical issues and other things kept me from it. I still read blogs, but I don’t have the mojo yet to resume.

10. Joanne Berndsen says:

Hi Beatrice,
    Wow ! You have been so creatively busy this year ! 🙂 Thanks for sharing all these photos and ideas !
    That bobbin flower looks so cool ! Red roses for a blue lady turned out fantastic !
    Ideas… brain storming …flowers, gardening, veg, what you like doing, what you see out your window, things from home, Germany,
    Yes, I can just imagine the piecemakers Christmas party being so much fun with that great group !
    It’s amazing how fast days fill when one is creative !
    It’s almost 2024 !
    Keep travellig 🙂
    hugs, take care,
    Joanne

11. Joan G says:

You have been very busy and the parties sure sound like they were fun! Good idea about what to make with the jelly roll strips. Like your other readers, I also appreciate your BOM’s, but agree that you need to take care of yourself. If inspiration does not strike for a BOM, how about teaching us how to make one of your beautiful Christmas cards? Maybe one a month for however many months you want – doesn’t have to be the whole year. Take care.

12. Shirley Soellner says:

Merry Christmas! We all need a break from time to time. I enjoy your BOMs but I’m sure they are a lot of work. You and yours come first. Enjoy all the other things on your plate. I’ll be her if you decide to bring on another quilt.

13. Karen F says:

After you have a rest, how about bunnies in the garden? Veggies and flowers, snails and worms with rabbits leaping around. Can you tell that I’m ready for spring? lol Thanks for all your work, it is appreciated.

14. Susan says:

I have enjoyed all your BOMs, and I enjoyed seeing what you worked on this year. Great colors!

I thought about animals I love, animals which haunt my neighborhood, etc., and I don’t see a thing wrong with either taking off a year to create your own ideas, or starting later or going shorter or going March to March, whatever winds up working for YOU.

Here are some animals I enjoy watching play in my yard, and maybe one will inspire you.
    Squirrels – they are so funny as they climb trees, chase each other, bark at each other and make general mayhem.

Opossums – sleepy, waddling, mother, just fun

Raccoons are so cat-like sometimes! They crack me up – one managed to use its fingers to get into the entrance to my attack and it wasn’t easy to trap and take away, but it was darned cute

Ferrets – funny in ones, a party in multiples!

Both Giraffes and Red Pandas (which are NOT pandas!) live at the Knoxville Zoo, and I can spend hours watching either one as families or moms and babies.

Probably more than enough thoughts from me. It doesn’t hurt my feelings if none of those inspire you, and anyway, sometimes we just need a break from routine!

15. Claudia says:

Happy new year and thanks a lot for all your boms in the last years.
    Es hat immer Spaß gemacht, wenn Du eine Pause brauchst, dann kann ich Dir nur raten, diese unbedingt zu nehmen. Ich glaube nicht, dass es Dir jemand uebel nehmen würde. Wir erfreuen uns schon so viele Jahre an
    Deiner Arbeit, für die ich mich auch sehr bedanken möchte.
    Ich finde Tiere des Waldes ein schönes Thema, aber bislang war ich immer begeistert von Deinen Themen
    Grüße aus Deutschland Dortmund Claudia

16. Carol O says:

I can see that you deserve a Break! You have been so busy and everything you have done is lovely. When you have more time I will be waiting for you. Thank you for everything!!