Happy Hippo Hop – Finally Quilted
If you wondered what happened to the Happy Hippo quilt, I did finish the top in a timely manner. And I was ready to quilt it over the May long weekend. I had to fix the backing because I hadn’t considered that the fabric was directional, and it was very distorted. After spending half a day on calculations and straightening the fabric and sewing it all together until it was finally ready to go on the longarm, I realized that I was very low on the turquoise thread that I wanted to use for the majority of the quilt.
I decided to postpone the quilting rather than risking running out of thread in the middle of the project. And I can’t just run out to the next store to get more thread as I order wholesale from a distributor in Ontario. Anyway, the thread arrived in the meantime, and I finally quilted the top last weekend. And wouldn’t you know it… I had just enough turquoise thread left to finish the quilt and didn’t need the new spool. But I am sure if I had taken the risk and started quilting without another spool for backup, I would have run into trouble. Oh well, at least it’s finally done. Now on to the binding!
CATEGORIES: Sneak Peek
TAGS: Appliqué, Patchwork, Quilt
That’s a beautiful quilt.
Thank you, Marianne.
Beautiful quilting. That sure cut it close. I like having two so so if I have to wind more bobbins, I don’t have to unthread the machine.
That’s a great tip, thank you, Marcia. I don’t wind my own bobbins though, I use the prewound Magna-Glide bobbins. But I keep a meticulous spreadsheet of how much thread I use (by weight), and I am usually pretty good in my estimates whether it will be enough or not.
The quilt is beautiful. I agree with you that if you had not ordered another thread, You would have run out just before you finished quilting it.
Yes, old Murphy is alive and kicking LOL. Oh well, at least it is done now.