- measure the length of the quilt top in the centre and two other places but not along the edges
- determine the average measurement by adding the three measurements and then dividing the result by 3
- cut two borders to this length and the width that is required by the pattern
- on one side match the centre of the quilt top and the centre of one border strip and pin
- match and pin corners
- half and quarter the remaining quilt top and border edges, match them and pin, ease in any extra fullness, use as many pins as necessary to evenly distribute the fabric
- sew and press, then attach the second border to the opposite side of the quilt top using the same process
- repeat the process for the top and bottom borders by measuring the width of the quilt top in three places and finding the average as explained above etc.