Square Dance Quilt – The Finished Top

I finally finished the top of the square dance quilt. It was the sheet music border that took forever, first it was my EQ program crashing on me and losing all my work, then it was figuring out how to actually do it. And I wouldn’t want to attempt it again, it took a lot of time to get it right. My biggest problem was how to create the five line staff all around the border. I didn’t want to cut narrow strips of fabric and I didn’t want to embroider them either… doing inches and inches of satin stitch didn’t really appeal to me. I was experimenting with couching and hand embroidery thread when I came across some black 1/8″ wide ribbon and it occurred to me that this might just be what I needed. It was still a lot of work to sew on yards and yards of ribbon (and getting it all as straight and parallel as possible) but it worked well and I am happy with the result. Now I just need to find the time to actually quilt one of my own projects.

Allemande Left Finished Top


Ich habe es endlich geschafft, das Top des Square Dance Quilts fertigzustellen. Es war der zweite Rand mit den Noten, der mich so ewig aufgehalten hat, und ich würde das ehrlich gesagt auch nicht noch einmal in Angriff nehmen wollen. Zuerst war ja mein EQ-Programm abgestürzt, und ich musste neu zeichnen, und dann musste ich eine Methode finden, die Musik auch tatsächlich auf meinen Quilt zu bringen. Es waren vor allem die Notenlinien, die mir Kopfzerbrechen bereitet haben. Ich wollte ungern so schmale lange Streifen schneiden und applizieren, und aufsticken wollte ich sie eigentlich auch nicht… stundenlang meterweise Satin Stich mit der Maschine, das erschien mir nicht sehr verlockend. Ich habe dann mit Handstickgarn und Couching mit der Maschine experimentiert, und das war gar nicht mal so schlecht. Dann bin ich eher zufällig auf 1/8″ schmales schwarzes Schleifenband gestoßen und dachte plötzlich, dass das vielleicht eine gute Lösung wäre. Es war zwar immer noch eine Menge Arbeit, meterweise Schleifenband aufzunähen (und zwar möglichst gerade und parallel), aber es hat gut funktioniert, und ich bin mit dem Ergebnis zufrieden. Jetzt muss ich nur noch die Zeit finden, mein eigenes Projekt zu quilten.


CATEGORIES: Personal Projects
TAGS: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WordPress Anti-Spam by WP-SpamShield



« Newer Post: Fox in the Forest - Older Post: Aspen Ridge »









Header Photo: "Third Weekend in October" Pieced and Quilted by Beatrice Rieske, Design by Ruth Powers of "Innovations"
© 2016 - 2018 Pumpkin Patch Patterns & Quilting - All rights reserved